Requirements to obtain a marriage license:

KRS 402.210 – Requirements for issuance of license.

  1. Must be 18 years of age or older. If under 18, but at least 17 years of age, must have an order from the family court or district court allowing the marriage between 1 or both parties seventeen (17) years of age. A marriage license cannot be issued to individuals under the age of 17.
  2. Both individuals must be present for a marriage license to be issued.
  3. Present to the county clerk documentary proof of age in the form of:
    1. A copy of birth record
    2. A certification of birth issued by the state department of health, a local registrar of vital statistics, or other public office charges with similar duties by the laws of another state, territory, or country.
    3. A baptismal record showing the individual’s date of birth.
    4. A passport.
    5. An automobile driver’s license.
    6. Any government or school-issued identification card showing the individual’s date of birth.
    7. An immigration record showing the individual’s date of birth.
    8. A naturalization record showing the individual’s date of birth.
    9. A court record or any other document or record issued by a government entity showing the individual’s date of birth.
    10. If either of the parties is under seventeen (17) years of age, no license shall be issued.
    11. If either of the parties is seventeen (17) years of age, a marriage license shall NOT be issued unless:
      • the pary who is seventeen (17) years of age presents to the clerk a cerified copy of a court order by a family court or District Court judge that grants the party permission to marry and removes the party’s disability of minority, as provided in KRS 402.205; and
      • At lease fifteen (15) days have elapsed since the cours order was granted

Marriage must be performed within 30 days in the commonwealth of Kentucky for the license to be valid. The marriage license must be returned to the county clerk for recording upon completion of the ceremony.

Payments Accepted:

Cash, certified check, cashier’s check, money order, personal check, Visa, Discover, AMX or MasterCard.

Minister Requirements:

The “recognition” of a minister can take the form of ordination or license or any other form which expresses clearly the fact that a religious group recognizes the person or looks to the person as a minister of that specific group. Currently, there is not a registration process for a minister to perform ceremonies in Kentucky.

Prohibited and Restricted Marriages:

  1. Marriages between persons who are nearer of kin to each other by blood, than second cousins.
  2. Marriages between first cousins.
  3. Marriages with a person mentally incompetent.
  4. Marriages where one of the parties living, from whom the person marrying has not been divorced.
  5. Marriages not solemnized or contracted in the presence of an authorized person or society.
  6. Common law marriages.
  7. Proxy marriages.

Solemnization of Marriage:

  1. Marriages shall be solemnized only by clergy, justices and judges of the Court of Justice; retired justices and judges of the Court of Justice, except those removed for cause or convicted of a felony; county judge/executives; such justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners as the Governor or the county judge/executive authorizes, and certain religious societies.
  2. At least two persons, in addition to the parties and the person solemnizing the marriage, must be present at every marriage.
  3. There are no residency requirements or licensing requirements applicable to ministers or priests who wish to perform marriages in Kentucky.
  4. A minister or priest, all justices and judges of the Court of Justice, justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners may perform marriages anywhere in Kentucky.

Marriage License FAQ’s

Where are marriage licenses issued?

The parties may go to any county in Kentucky to get a marriage license if both are 18 years of age or older. Marriage licenses may be used in any Kentucky county and cannot be used anywhere but in Kentucky. If the marriage is not solemnized within the 30-day period, the parties must apply for a new license. Both must be present to obtain a license.

Who issues marriage licenses?

The county clerk issues marriage licenses. Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days, including the date it is issued, and after that time it is invalid. Therefore, if the marriage is not solemnized within the 30-day period, the parties must apply for a new license.

How can we obtain our marriage license?

  • Both parties must apply for the license together.
  • Identification is required. Both must present an acceptable form of ID, Acceptable forms of ID in accordance with the statue and KCCA’s recorder’s manual include: Drivers’ license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card.
  • Both parties must be 18 years old or older.
  • Correct spelling of father’s full name and mother’s full maiden name (first, middle and last)
  • There is a $50.00 fee for a marriage license.

We accept cash, checks, Visa, MC and Discover.

Where can I return my marriage license after the ceremony?

Is there a waiting period or blood test requirement?


Do I need to bring my birth certificate?

No, unless you’re under 18.

Do I need to bring my divorce decree?


Do I need to bring my social security card?


Can I get a marriage license in one county in Kentucky and marry in another county in Kentucky?


What do we do after we are married?

  • The officiate will return the signed marriage application to the Whitley County Clerk’s Office. It will be filed with the County Clerk and a Marriage License will be issued to the couple.
  • When changing your maiden name, you will take your marriage license to the Social Security Administration. Information about the Social Security Office located in Florence, KY.
  • Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license. Information about the Whitley County Circuit Clerk’s office.

Need a copy of a marriage license?

By Mail

Send written notice to:

Whitley county clerk
Po box 8
200 main st Ste 2
Williamsburg, ky 40769

  • Include in the written notice the following information: brides maiden name, grooms name and date of marriage(year) if before June 26, 2020; After June 25, 2020 partner 1 or partner 2 maiden name and date of marriage (year).
  • A certified copy is $6.00 by mail.
In Person

A certified copy of a marriage license can also be obtained in person at the Whitley County Clerk’s Office. The fee to obtain a certified copy of the marriage license in person is $5.

Whitley County Clerk

Carolyn Willis

Office Hours


Monday:  7:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Tue-Fri:   7:30 AM to 4:30 PM


Monday:  8:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Tue-Fri:   8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Holiday Closures

Contact Details

Mailing address:

P.O. Box 8
Williamsburg, KY 40769


200 Main St #2
Williamsburg, KY 40769


(606) 549-6002
(606) 549-6003
Fax: (606) 549-2790
Email: [email protected]

Skip to content